Our volunteer training course for patient visit volunteers takes place over six consecutive Saturday mornings from 10am – 12:30pm, here at our office in South Pasadena.
During each 2 1/2 hour session you will meet with a different member of our hospice team to gain a deeper understanding of hospice and your role in patient care.
Please contact our volunteer coordinator to find out more about the application process.
FALL 2012 – SATURDAY 10:00am – 12:30pm
1. Introduction to hospice with Byron Garcia, Executive Director
Overview of hospice
The family as a unit of care
The role of the volunteer
2. Psycho-Social Issues with Rene Frescas, Social Worker
Role of the social worker
Living with terminal illness
Communicating with dying patients and their families
3. Nursing Care with Katie Robinson, Field Supervisor
Medication and equipment in the home
Preparing for death
4. Spiritual Care with Stephen Moorey, Chaplain
Role of the chaplain
Historical and cultural perspectives on dying
5. The Volunteer Experience with current hospice volunteers
Maintaining professional boundaries
Body mechanics and safety
Complete final competencies